Ramlethal Valentine by tetsu
The next installment of Guilty Gear Xrd, Revelator, has been announced! Location tests will be happening all throughout this weekend. 2 new characters have been announced: the first is fan favorite and series staple Johnny! He has unfortunately lost a lot of his signature moves from the XX series including Ensenga, Killer Joker, and Jackhound. But many of his normals have been changed, and he now has air Mist Finers(and air mist cancels), a new special called Zweihander(which is kind of like Divine Blade and Ensenga in one move), and a new super called Treasure Hunt. Like the name suggests, Treasure Hunt replenishes his coins.
The second character is a newcomer named Jack-O’. Like her name suggests, she has a pumpkin attached to her like a ball and chain, and wears a mask that makes her face look like a pumpkin carving. She is apparently That Man’s mysterious 3rd servant in the story. She appears to be a defensive, zoning character. Daisuke Ishiwatari has stated in a Famitsu interview that her playstyle has RTS elements in it, specifically the ones used in Guilty Gear 2 Overture. So it will be interesting to see how she develops.
The latest Famitsu has some information about the two new characters, and Kurushii has provided high resolution scans that you can view here and here. There is also additional information and images available in Famitsu’s online articles.
Other than new characters, no new balance changes will be made(for the location tests at least), but there are some system additions. You can see the details in the Revelator playing manual posted on the official GGXrd homepage.
- Graphics have been revamped, with additional effects like rim lights and upgrades to the character shaders
- Characters now take visible battle damage, like dirt and clothes ripping
- Throw breaks have been added to the game once again! No information is available on how big the break window is, though.
- Blitz Shield can now be charged by holding down the HS button, which increases its duration. Releasing HS after a successful blitz triggers an attack that staggers on hit and regenerates a significant amount of the Burst meter.
- Cinematic overdrives can be powered up by inputting the exact same command, but with the D button instead. This uses up a burst and increases the damage dealt from the super.
- The 5d horizontal followup now has a cinematic, which changes some corner combos and also makes new midscreen combos possible
- The Technical/Stylish system from BlazBlue has been added. Stylish characters have simplified inputs for specials and autocombos but access to less system mechanics and options. In addition, keeping the joystick at neutral will make your character automatically block everything.
Godsgarden has announced the game lineup of their 10th major event, and it is Guilty Gear Xrd and Blazblue CP Extend! Xrd will be happening on June 27th. You can expect everything to be streamed on the Godsgarden Twitch channel and Nico community, so mark your calendars!
Here are a list of sites that are running articles on the Xrd Revelator location tests. Definitely check this out if you want to see more images of the new characters in action.
Blade has also posted a rough translation of the Daisuke interview in the 4gamer article right here, which has a lot of information about Jack-O’, Johnny, and the system changes!
I will update this post throughout the week with more article links as information from the location tests come through.